Capsule Free Spring - Why I Will Not Repeat the Wardrobe Experiment

I do not think this comes as a big surprise, but it is the conclusion I've drawn for myself after doing the two rounds of capsule wardrobes during winter & early spring last year and documenting them for this ol' fashion blog. You can find the outlining articles and outfit posts here. Like many other things in life, personal style is an evolution and some things are tools that help us along the way. Alas ...

A Capsule Free Spring & Summer ... or why I won't repeat the Capsule Wardrobe Experiment.


Short answer: It is just not for me.


A Capsule Free Spring. Or why I will not repeat the wardrobe experiment.






Long answer:

Coming back from the holidays we spent at my parents last winter, I slowly fell into a big "lack of enthusiasm hole" in regards to my blog. While I had some great plans, I just couldn't seem to find the energy or will power to put them into motion. Add some other real life happenings that took a lot of energy and you can see why I went to a sort of minimum posting schedule and "barely there" presence on social media.

I've tried a couple of different things that supposedly help you get over this kind of blogging stumble block, the blogging burn out, but nothing really seemed to work. And I couldn't figure out why.

Then, after a while, I realised that the whole thing started more or less when I started to do the second "Capsule Experiment". Not counting the holidays, because you naturally do a capsule when you are on vacation. I think this applies even if you can afford an entire airplane for your luggage, as I wager you'd have still thrice the amount at home (or homes)

Anyway. So the question is why? Why would the Capsule Experiment insidiously suck the joy out of blogging for me, even tho I do like (still do) the concept of minimal wardrobes?

Well, for one, because I feel like with the publishing of the list, the presentation of more or less all the pieces I plan to incorporate, I already also presented all the outfits, even tho I did it in list format instead of a picture collage. You already know what's coming. Sort of. Nothing new to invent. It's like I cannot surprise you anymore with quirky funkyness. And what's maybe even more important, I cannot surprise myself either. I expressed similar sentiments towards Marie Kondo's book (which I never read & that is why).

However, you know what's the most absurd thing of it all? If I am absolutely honest, I wouldn't want to read it either. One post sure, two maybe even three but then I lose interest. There are few fashion blogs left out there anyway where I feel that people really do "their thang". And I'd like to be one of them.

Another thing is that: while I like limits (the positive ones) and a certain base framework, I don't want either of them to be too rigid, fixed. Not sure if I explain myself well here, but there's this magical space where correct limits don't hinder you, instead they help you by making you stay focused, channel your creativity, actually almost force it to come out. It's a fine line.

Thirdly, my wardrobe is so small, it's already kind of a capsule. With exception of tops and socks maybe *wink*. I have four pairs of leggings with patterns. Four. Not twenty. What's the point of allowing myself to only wear two of them if I like all four? There's no point, other than proving a point, is there? Well I proved myself I could. But I knew that already from going on holidays.

A Capsule Wardrobe is a Tool, Not a Lifestyle


A capsule wardrobe has many advantages. And it is a wonderful place to start out. It's a great tool for honing in on your core pieces if you cannot really figure it out. It's very good for teaching you about your personal "enough" and how much you really need (the true need, not the perceived one induced by consumerism). I absolutely would recommend to everyone to do it at least once in their life, especially when there is some kind of slum, some dissatisfaction with your wardrobe or appearance, instead of putting on the quick band aid fix of going on a shopping spree. Get down to your core, then take it from there.

After a year of transitions that affected many parts of my life, I understand more than ever that for some people, in our times, dressing must be a way of expressing who they are. And yes, some people are made for having a big arsenal of clothes and playing with all of them. That's great. It's wonderful. I love seeing the creativity of some of it. Most of us however aren't. We are just stuck in a cycle of shopping and discarding. Shopping and discarding. Or worse, shopping and forgetting about the piece. Doing a Capsule Wardrobe can help break that cycle. As can a shopping break.

But in the end for me it is just a tool, not a lifestyle, and like with all good tools, you should know when to use them and when to put them aside. After all I can honestly say that the Capsule Wardrobe Experiment for me was a success, even if I won't repeat it, because it taught me a lot about myself and my style. That too is mindful fashion.

As an after thought, the thing I absolutely dislike are those that are doing "Capsule Wardrobes" but really they just buy new stuff every three to six months tossing aside the rest. You could as well just keep shopping. I mean yes, it's a capsule, but for me the main point of a capsule wardrobe was and is the minimalist aspect of lowering my impact on the state of affairs regarding the ecological price of fashion.


P.S. The pic is of my wardrobe. As you can see I made enough space elsewhere to remove the hanging organiser that was still in there when I started the Capsule Experiment. You can also spot some classics like the striped dress (also still have the bag and flats), the floral midi and the palm print skirt.



Follow me! 
And never miss a Funky post.




Linking up with: Honest Mum || High Latitude Style || Living on Cloud Nine || Rachel the Hat || Jo-Lynne Shane || Posh Classy Mom || Fashion Should Be Fun || 









Share:

0 comments